Vous êtes abonné avec succès à 18 Stafford Terrace
18 Stafford Terrace
From 1875, 18 Stafford Terrace was the home of Punch cartoonist Edward
Linley Sambourne, his wife Marion, their two children and their live-in
The house gives an insight into the personal lives of
the Sambourne family, and also provides a rare example of what was
known as an 'Aesthetic interior' or 'House Beautiful' style. The
Aesthetic Movement of the late nineteenth century advocated the
use of foreign or 'exotic' influences in the decoration of the home'.
This can be seen by the various Japanese, Middle-Eastern and Chinese
objects throughout the Sambournes' home.
After the deaths of
Linley and Marion Sambourne, the house was preserved by their
descendants. In 1980 it was opened to the public by the Victorian
Society. This organisation had been inaugurated at 18 Stafford Terrace
in 1958 by the Sambourne's grand-daughter, Anne, 6th Countess of Rosse.
In 1989, its ownership passed to the Royal Borough of Kensington and
Chelsea who now manage this museum