You have succesfully subscribed to CATHEDRAL OF ST. MICHAEL AND MST. GUDULA
CATHEDRAL OF ST. MICHAEL AND MST. GUDULA
A chapel dedicated to St Michael was probably built here as early as the 9th century. In the 11 th century it was rep!aced by a Romanesque church which became a "collegiale church" in 1047. The relics of St Gudula were transferred there. From then onwards, it became known as "the collegiale church of St Michae! and St Gudula". In February 1962, it was given cathedral status, and since then it has been the seat of the Archbishop of Malines-Brussels, together with St Rombouts cathedral in Malines. The building of the present church in Gothic "Brabançon" style began with the choir in 1226. Works of art: stained glass window (16th century), confessionals (16th century), pulpit (17th century), carillon (1975). A thorough restauration of the cathedra! was carried out between 1983 and November 1999. Remains of a Romanesque church were discovered, as weIl as a Romanesque crypt under the choir.