History of the museum roots in the last decade of the 19th century. The Association for Balaton Museum was founded in 1897 during the millecentenarium period, when many museums were established.
The aim of the Association was – beyond creating a museum relating to Lake Balaton – to raise “the cult of Lake Balaton” and collect and present the historical, geographic, natural historical, ethnographic and “cottage industrial” memories of “Lake Balaton region”. The association fulfilled one of its main missions till 1928 – to build up the building of Balaton Museum based on Dénes György's plans. The museum united with Darnay Museum, in Sümeg, thus became one of the most diverse regional museums in Hungary. During world war II. the most valuable works of art of the museum were destroyed because of bombs. Only 15 percent of the artworks survived. The museum was nationalized in 1949. Its independence came to an end when the County Museum Organization was founded in 1962. The institution was attached to Museum Directorate of Veszprém County. In consequence of the county reorganization the museum
Would you like to find out more about this pro directory?