The National Museum in Gdansk is located in a former Franciscan monastery, built in the late Gothic style in the first half of the 15th century. When the Reformation took over in Gdansk, the monks left the town, handing over the monastery to the town authorities in 1556, ‘solely for academic purposes’. From 1643, the building provided accommodation for the Town Council Library and the Academic Gymnasium. The ground-floor rooms originating from these times are: the chapter-house, library, large and small refectory, and the cloisters skirting the monastery garden.
The idea of creating a museum took shape in the mid-19th century. The sculptor Rudolf Freitag lived and worked in the building from 1845 to 1868. During this period, he collected antique items and applied to the Prussian authorities for permission to open a museum in what was then a deteriorating historical building. In 1872, the building opened as the Town Museum, with its collections augmented by the holdings of the Museum of the Artistic Crafts.
The works of art and artistic crafts held at that time and added in the immediately following decades continue to constitute the essential part of the Gdansk museum collections.