The palais (townhouse) at Sackstrasse 16 is named after its last aristocratic owners, the Counts of Herberstein, and is one of the most important historic buildings in the old part of Graz. The north wing of the house came into the possession of the Herberstein family in 1565. In 1637, that part of the building was sold to Johann Anton von Eggenberg and combined into a single property along with the south wing and the adjacent Bauernfeind’sches Haus. In 1754, the property was inherited by Maria Eleonore von Eggenberg. She left it to her husband Johann Leopold von Herberstein, in exchange for his Rothenturm property.
Between 1754–1757, architect Joseph Hueber (1715–1787) built an ornate central stairwell to weld the north and south wings and Bauernfeind’sches Haus into a single residence, as commissioned. A grand entrance opening to the courtyard via three pillared arcades likewise dates from this time.